Monday, December 7, 2009

Working out some thoughts about books


I have a bit of a quandary. I love books.
No, that isn’t the problem.
I am just stuck a little on how to talk about them on this blog.
Because I love to read, I love books, all kinds of books, and I want to share that love here. My mom loves to tell me that I learned to read at about 3 years old. Apparently at bedtime, she would try to read me a story and I would grab the book out of her hands because I want to read it myself. Which perfectly showcases both my love of books at an early age and my own independent streak.
But it truly was the start of a passion of mine. I tend to read anything and will be willing to try most every kind of book. Mysteries, fantasies, chick lit, romances, graphic novels, biographies, histories, current events, science, the list goes on and on.
My apartment is filled with books. I have two bookcases full and stacks littered throughout the place. Stacks that I haven’t even read yet. Sometimes it feels there is just too much to read.
The problem stems from my job, which is a sales rep for a major publisher. I won’t say which one; the people that I am close too know which one. But that makes it a little harder to always talk openly. I guess I don’t want to be thought of as a shill for my company, but I also don’t feel totally comfortable trashing a book we publish. And if I don’t feel comfortable doing that, then it’s hardly fair for me to trash a book from another publisher.
This kind of leaves me with only discussing books I really enjoy. Not that that is a bad thing. I like spreading the words about a great book. But it does leave me feeling a bit like a cheerleader.
Not even sure why I am worrying about this now. I have so much to read for work this week; it’s kind of hard to think about reading for pleasure. But I will be getting back to that soon enough and I am really looking forward to talking about what I am reading. Plus I keep staring at my shelves and thinking about diving in between the covers.
Sigh.
Well I guess I will have to pick up my pom poms and be a book cheerleader then. Worse things to be in this world.

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing in the world finer than being a lover of books, other than possibly being a lover of nature or animals. Each one never ceases to educate us and take us to relationships and places that we have never experienced before. I share your love of books, and find that I would rather spend an evening with a book than with another person. Books are a type of portable magic.

    ReplyDelete