Sunday, December 20, 2009

For my friend

When I look back at this year, I can always say it started on a high note, when my best friend Caz came over from London to celebrate the New Year with me. Even now I can still sit here and smile at all the good memories.
We did a lot of the touristy things, visited the Museum, Chinatown, the park. We did New Year’s Eve at Motor City, so we could enjoy champagne and loud music. New Year’s Day we nursed our hangovers and just watched episodes of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I gave her a bunch of free comics and took her to Midtown Comics and Forbidden Planet.
I think the best thing we did though was the Bob Dylan Walking Tour. Caz is a huge Dylan fan, so I found a website that showed various clubs and places Dylan played or stayed at. We spent a cold afternoon wandering the West Village, trying to find them all. Of course, in an effort to play tour guide, I felt the need to provide her with fascinating tidbits about Dylan’s life. The fact that I was making all of it up (did you know Blonde on Blonde was named because he wanted to know if some girl’s carpet matched the drapes? No?) didn’t take away from the enjoyment.
In a couple of days, Caz will be back on this side of the Atlantic to ring in 2010. We both had very rough years, hers especially. Through it all, our friendship was one of the few positive things we had in our lives and we offered each other support and guidance. Laughs when we needed to forget, advice when we needed to talk. So I am looking forward to her return so I can thank her properly for her friendship. I truly hope she knows how much it means to me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You are very lucky to have each other - true friendship is too often overlooked as one of the essentials on the checklist of life.

    ReplyDelete