Monday, December 14, 2009

An Open Letter


To the next woman or women that I go out with who when I tell them that I read comic books and graphic novels, they either respond with “Oh that’s…interesting. Why?” or “But aren’t they for kids?” (The much hoped for “Oh Me Too!” has yet to materialize)

Yes, I read comics.
No, they are not for kids. Well, some are. But not the ones I read. Maybe.
Look, I love reading. I always have. I love reading all sorts of things, and comics are a part of that. I won’t apologize for it. Except maybe for those X-Men years but hey I was a kid then. Cut me some slack.
Ok ok, I can see that you seem to find this a little perplexing. I guess you probably haven’t really seen a lot of these working the runways in Paris and studying physics at M.I.T. (hey, if I am going to have an imaginary date, the least I can do is have it with a smoking hot genius). I guess maybe I should go way back.
I don’t remember the first comic I read, but the first one that stayed with me was an old issue of Iron Man. I had that thing for years; I remember he was battling this villain called The Living Laser. I don’t remember the plot very well, but I still remember the cover. It was with that comic that I was hooked.
It didn’t help that I had an uncle that was a big comics fan and he really fueled the fire. He would have these stacks at his house that he would let me pick through. I read long runs of Batman and X-Men and a bunch of others .From him, I learned about the history and the characters and saw that this is something that you can read no matter what age.
Yes, my mom never forgave him. Do you see the waiter? I think I need more wine.
Over the years I read more and more, and began branching out into the independents comics, the ones for mature readers. The ones without guys in tights. I found stories that could be incredibly complex and intelligent, stories about simple relationships, detective stories, journalism and memoirs. And of course Robert Crumb’s fascination with big asses.
For me, reading has primarily always been about the story. Can it absorb me, take me away from the reality of my life and put me in another world? For me, I see no difference if that world is the strange landscapes of Borges, the hard boiled streets of Chandler, or the skies of Metropolis with Superman. The same goes with a good film or TV show. If the story can grab hold of me, then I am there, transfixed.
Oh good, I needed this refill.
Nowadays, people talk about this growing acceptance of comics and graphic novels. They get reviewed in major newspapers, they get on top ten lists alongside Pynchon and Lethem. They are taught in schools and universities. Heck, one even won the Pulitzer. Maybe I was just ahead of the curve, cool before everyone else? ......Yeah, that was silly to say. I blame the wine.
So no, I am proud of reading them. I love reading them. I always have and I always will. I like to think that the person I am has been shaped as much from my love of comics.
Someone asked me recently if I picked out one book to give to someone that would tell them who I was, how I saw myself. I looked through my bookshelf and thought about it for a second and I said Spider-Man. The person laughed and asked why.
Spider-Man was this ordinary, skinny, nerdy high school kid who got his powers from a freak accident. He uses these powers to try to help regular people. No matter how much he gets abused by the press, or beat up by super villains, he always tries to fight for what’s right in the world.
I would like to think, that although I don’t have super powers, that I try to live my life the same way. That no matter how big the obstacles are I try to fight the good fight for the people that I care about. I don’t know of any other way to live and I wouldn’t change that part about me for the world.
If that came from reading a comic book, then how could they ever be bad?
Hmm? Thank you, I think you are very sweet too. Want to get out of here?

12 comments:

  1. Awesome. R. Crumb is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I really that rare of a commodity? A girl that *gasp* reads Green Lantern and Sin City and Batman and buys my children every superhero toy I can find? My husband and I had a discussion the other day about not mixing DC and Marvel (Royce was wearing Batman pajamas and carrying a Spiderman toy), but we didn't mention any of the independent comics in our discussion. Perhaps we should think about it for the next time Drinky Crow appears in our house.

    We tried to get Alice to tell us whether the Green Lantern toy she was holding was John Stewart or Hal Jordan and she said, either "Batman" or "Black man". And yes, it was John Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew there was a reason I loved you, little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean McPhillips here.

    I enjoyed reading that and I want to chime in. My first comic was an issue of Thor. Imagine that! Ridiculous. However, I will say it was more the CONCEPT of owning a comic and having it in plastic and looking at the cover that got me at that time more than the story which I forgot (still have the comic of course - and a fondness for Thor - god knows what the film will be like). I then got into Spider Man and The Uncanny X Men for the story and characters and then all the other Marvels and DC's. Before becoming an adult and finding things like Y The Last Man, I found my calling in Roy Thomas' Conan the Barbarian adaptations (regular and the magazines) as well as DC's Sgt. Rock (especially the 100 page issues). I could read about Thoth-Amon and German Panzers for days straight. The character I ultimately glommed onto, unlike your selfless Spider Man, was the Beyonder from Secret Wars & Secret Wars II. (Him or the Molecule Man - almost as powerful, even if he never knew it). I wanted to rule the universe. And there was no wine involved. Any female who would scoff at our true love of comics and graphic novels needs to get taken down a notch (or ten). Girls who hate comics suck. I will Beyonder their ass back to the netherworld. No need for apologies, Eric!

    Over and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sean. The Beyonder's powers were always tempting, but as they say with great power comes a great urge to make girls get naked using only my mind.
    Wait, isn't that the plot of Zapped?

    ReplyDelete
  6. McPhillips here...
    OK OK. Let's say then that it's a toss up between Molecule Man (no mind control) - who ended up with his true love in a simple house in a Denver suburb - and perhaps Wolverine or Conan (who fought each other in an issue of "What If?") -- oh and maybe Thor. Where's Mjolnir??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've still got the first dozen issues of the John Buscema SILVER SURFER from 1968, in case you're curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way Jon is the enormously talented author of FINN and the upcoming KINGS OF THE EARTH and everyone should go out and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am only commenting because well YOU know me. LOL. You feed my addiction. Which is very much the same as yours. Well done.. I could offer the female rebuttle, in the sense that every guy that I have dated thought I was a lunatic for reading comics. How insane is that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. McP
    I wouldn't mind enjoying those Buscema Surfers since my boy Conan was never treated so well as by his pen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Women actually give you a hard time about this? And as someone who is friends with MIT graduates I can tell you that your "date" went to college with a lot of comic-book-readers. She's protesting too much.

    You should come to LA, the women here would just be excited that you know how to read.
    To quote Sandra Tsing Loh: "Most of the women I know are happy to be with ANY guy...who will agree to some sort of regular, resonably monogamous dating schedule. If the fellow's cocktail of antidpressants aren't generating actual impotence, so much the better."

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've just been dating the wrong women. Arguably, their response is a red flag that you've made a poor decision. Leave NYC behind and move out to California. Not only do we not have ass-slush weather, there's the occasional cool person walking around here too.

    ReplyDelete