Sunday, December 6, 2009

It Ain't All About The Spandex

Last night, I had a lengthy chat with my friend over at Geekbritannia about the best comic book movies. We do that sort of thing.
She's a geek. I'm a dork. It's not THAT surprising.
In the course of our chat, we felt the need to look at some lists online, trying to refresh our memories about which films we were forgetting. Looking at the list, I was reminded by a few films I always forget are comic book movies. Mostly because I get caught up in the idea that these movies are always men in spandex with superpowers or high tech gadgets. You would think after so many years of reading comics, I would remember that there is so much out there that isn't just super heroes, that there are works of surprising depths.
Take these five:

A History of Violence - John Wagner and Vince Locke's noirish graphic novel becomes a much deeper and, in many ways, darker film in the hands of David Cronenberg. Tom, a small town diner owner kills two psychopaths as they terrorize customers. The resulting media frenzy brings mobsters to town, convinced that that Tom is actually a small time street thug who disappeared years ago and intend to get their revenge on him. What sounds like a simple thriller turns into a darker rumination on identity, family, and secrets. Images from this film still stick with me years after having seen it.

Ghost World - I loved Daniel Clowe's original series of short stories following the coming of age of Enid and Rebecca, two LA girls, who both want to find their place in a very strange world. Directed by Terry Zwigoff, who wrote the screenplay with Clowes, the material comes to life with great performances by Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson (what happened to you Scarlet), as well as everyschlub Steve Buscemi. Plus how can you not love that soundtrack?

Crumb - OK, not an official comic book movie, but Zwigoff's in depth documentary about controversial, troubled, and brilliant comic artist Robert Crumb still gets a mention. I love how this film slowly pulls back the layers to Crumb's life, how he grew up, how he discovered art, his portrayal of women in his comics. Unlike most documentaries where things get spelled out for the viewer, so much of the power of this film is in what isn't said, and in how much we see or don't see ourselves in Crumb.

Men in Black - Yeah, I ALWAYS forget this one too. Originally a small independent comic that few people had ever heard of, who now doesn't think of Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith when they hear the title. I am not a huge fan of blockbuster summer movies, but I always have had a soft spot for this one because of its black humor, the great dynamic between Smith and Jones, and an oddball Coen Brothers sensibility.

Oldboy - I remember seeing this Korean film in a small London art house theater and literally gripping the seat with breathless excitement. I don't think I even knew this was an adaptation of a popular manga until I heard Will Smith wanted to do an American remake (it's not happening, whew). Chan-wook Park's tale of a man imprisoned for 15 years who is released and given only 5 days to find his captors, is a visual and emotional stunner, taking the typical revenge tale and turning it on its head. I will never forget a fight scene where the hero of the story takes on 20 or so men in a long hallway, the camera following along in a single tracking shot, stripping away stylized movie violence and letting us see, hear, feel every brutal blow.

2 comments:

  1. There are SO many. I really didn't know for example, that Road to Perdition was a GN...until you told me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always remember that one. By the way, for all other readers, please read Geekbritannia.
    It's a wonderful wonderful blog!
    http://geekbritannia.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete