Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday notes

Some highlights for the day:

Read The Castle in Transylvania, an old novella by Jules Verne. The story centers around an old abandoned castle outside a small village. When the townspeople begin witnessing supernatural events, they start to investigate and find more than they bargained for. What starts off as a horror story turns into a tale of love, obsession and madness. It also features a sort of Scooby-Doo ending (hey let’s explain how it all worked) that is both satisfying and also disappointing. The ghost story elements were so enjoyable that when Verne pulls back the curtain, it takes a lot away from the story.

Hit the Brooklyn Public Library this afternoon. I love my library. Living in a more-hipster area of Brooklyn, the Central Branch tends to have a great selection in things like CD’s and graphic novels. I picked up Adrian Tomine’s Shortcomings and a mix of CD’s ranging from Stan Getz to Belle & Sebastian. A good haul. Now I just have to find the time to get to them.

Spent a long time talking to my best friend in London and playing some Wordscraper. She has been having a huge success at the Authonomy site. She has posted her first novel there and has been getting a lot of great feedback. What makes me smile the most about this is I have been telling her for so long that she is a talented writer, and all of the people complimenting her have just really given her a big boost of confidence. And it is a well deserved boost. She just hit the top five of the week and it’s only been up there two days! If you want to take a look at it, go to www.authonomy.com and lookup her book The Suicide Note. If you enjoy it, feel free to sign up for the site and put her novel on your bookshelf. I am so incredibly proud of her.

Tonight I am enjoying a quiet night in, prepping to watch more of the first season of Dr. Who. I will speak more of my Who love at a later date. But this is just how I wanted to spend my Saturday night.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome, and I'm inspired to read the book. I love your note on the library. I miss hitting up my local library - I prettymuch grew up in the one at home. Adding to my list of things to get back to.

    ReplyDelete