Saturday, April 13, 2013

Eating Cheesesteaks in Philadelphia


Sometimes you need to just get away for a day or two. That’s what I did today, hitting the road for a trip to Philadelphia. 

Truthfully, Philly wouldn’t have been my first choice, no matter how much I love It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. But my roommate has always wanted to go and shoot photos there. So we rented a car and drove down. It was also a chance for take my puppy on her first road trip. 

We spent most of the day wandering the historic district. I have been to Philadelphia before but never really spent time there. I loved seeing the old buildings and the beautiful public squares. My roommate took some amazing photos that you will be able to see at her website soon. (www.cazmckinnon.com) Lavinia even made a friend in Ava, a six month old Poodle / Yorkie mix. 

Of course the real highlight of the day was a Philly cheesesteak taste test between the two local legends: Pat’s and Geno’s. I had always heard that these two were the classics and the best in the city, but everyone debates which is better. I wanted to decide on my own. 

So after eating a sandwich at each place (and oh, how I will pay for that), I can unequivocally say that it’s Pat’s all the way. Their meat is better seasoned and frankly their chopped up beef just tasted better than Geno’s slices. Also, Geno’s was swimming in cheese. I love cheese, but even that was too much for me. Pat’s was just perfect and delicious.  

Now I will be craving Pat’s sandwiches for the next two months. Dammit. 

Tomorrow will be a visit to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to do my own personal recreation of the Rocky steps sequence. Using my dog. Because that’s how I roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment