Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Shout Out For Saga


About a year and a half ago I started going back to the comic book store after a lengthy hiatus. I wanted to dip my toes back into the comic world and started regularly checking out some of the new series coming out. But there was one series that was my impetus for this. 

That series was Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples. 

I have been a huge fan of Vaughn’s work since I started reading Y The Last Man. His writing had a sense of wit and charm to it, yet never overwhelming the suspenseful core of the story. I became an instant fan of his and followed his work with great pleasure. 

Then he ran away to Hollywood and I expected him to be another Neil Gaiman, coming back to do a “special issue” here and there but never another long form series. 

So when Saga was announced, it was a huge event for comic fans, but it felt like a huge event for me personally. I could barely wait for the first issue and when it finally came, I was not disappointed. 

A quick recap of the premise: In another galaxy, two different cultures engage in a never ending war. Then opposing soldiers Marco and Alana fall in love, get married, and have a baby. Both sides want them killed and their baby captured, so they have to go on the run across the universe.

Of course that’s just the first issue. As the series has progressed, Vaughn has brought in an impressive supporting cast of grandparents, robot princes, bounty hunters, jilted ex lovers, and Lying Cat. He has also built this fabulously detailed story universe that just keeps enthralling me the further it goes. 

Vaughn is at the top of his game with Saga, and his creative partner Fiona Staples art is rich and textured and simply stunning. It’s easily the best comic going right now and each time I know an issue is coming out, I am giddy with anticipation. 

There have been a ton of rave reviews for Saga since it came out, and I didn’t want to write something that was just another voice in the symphony. I only write this because I am just so happy I get to live in a world with a new Brian Vaughn comic. Because its the simple things that sometimes can bring us the most joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment