Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I am the one who writes.....about Breaking Bad.


When Walter White says nothing, that’s when I start to worry about what’s about to happen. He likes to bark and snap and threaten. He wants you to say his name and know that he is the one who knocks. However, for my money, there is nothing more menacing then Walter White at his most quiet. 

After a long hiatus, Breaking Bad came back and like the approaching end of a great book, I’m feeling dread and anticipation simultaneously. I can’t wait to see the end and I never want it to end. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more interesting character arc then the one experienced by Walter White. He starts as a high school chemistry teacher stricken with cancer, who turns to making meth to make money for the family he will leave behind. He ends up as a drug kingpin, who has ruthlessly murdered his enemies and innocents alike. He has gone from fearful to sinister. 

I once compared Walter to Tony Soprano, or rather that Walter’s story is how someone becomes a Tony Soprano. I think I have to revise that. Tony is a character of greed and sociopathy. Walter is a character eaten away not by avarice, but by his pride. His ego, his need to win, his need to show everyone that he is strong and smart and can’t be beaten has destroyed any hope for redemption of him. 

Not that he would want it. Walter never asks for forgiveness. 

Not that I really want him to. When I started watching this show, I wanted Walt to get away with it. Now I just want to know how he will pay for his sins. 

Soon enough, I guess I will find out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment