Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Doctor is in!

Last night I, like many other geeks, tuned into the return of Doctor Who. It was a big episode, with a new companion, a new Big Bad, and a new Tardis. Rather than review the episode (I enjoyed it immensely), here are just some random thoughts on the episode:
  • ROCKET CYCLE!!!
  • Jenna Louise Coleman has really made an impression on me as the new companion. First off I think she’s got a certain energy to her performance that can match Matt Smith’s manic doctor. Plus their chemistry is palpable. I’ve never been one to want the Doctor and his companions to hook up, but in this case, I would be willing to make an exception. 
  • Something about the opening and the London setting reminded me a bit of Steven Moffat’s other great series Sherlock. England has always been in the Doctor’s DNA and last night’s episode really had that on display (it reminded me as well of Skyfall, where London was practically a character of the story). 
  • The reveal at the end of the Big Bad (I won’t spoil it) was a nice surprise. Is this the set up for the 50th anniversary? I have to admit his previous appearance hadn’t really struck me as memorable, but I will be interested in seeing where they go with it. 
  • ROCKET CYCLE!!!!!
  • Is it just me or does anyone else look forward to what I anticipate to be a catty first meeting between Clara and River Song?


1 comment:

  1. My only issue, and it's a minor one, is that I didn't find this Oswin as compelling as her other two incarnations. Her first obviously couldn't continue beyond the big twist of her story, but I loved her interplay with the Doctor exclusively through audio exchanges. The second, though, had a marvelous Valerian & Laureline quality to her, as a woman of the past encounters futuristic technology, but quickly adjusts and excels in the use of it due to her sharp wits and daring do. Current Oswin pretty much fits the "modern girl" mode we've already had from Rose, Martha, and Amy. She's good, but we almost got something even more different and I wish they'd stuck with it. :)

    Otherwise, yeah, good episode and I can't wait to see where they go in the build to the 50th.

    ReplyDelete